Wednesday, April 27, 2011

No Meat? No Cheese?

There are two answers to these two questions for me.
1st - Why do I not eat meat?
The mistreatment and abuse of animals is unacceptable. The factories that cram chickens in close quarters, pump cows full of steroids, and prod pigs around have no respect for those animals.  There are plenty of behind the scenes footage of these incidences and watching any of those videos shows people bullying around these poor animals.
Would you want your household pet treated this way?

Besides the abuse side of the argument, it's healthier to have a plant-based diet. There is a handy book called "The China Study" by T. Collin Campbell & Thomas Campbell that covers how our food habits are linked to cancer, heart disease, and diabetes.

So the next question usually is why not eat the hippy farm chicken, pork, & beef that is not shot up with steriods and has cows drinking mimosas in a field while listening to beethoven their entire life? 
I don't believe any animals should be slaughtered for our food, regardless of how awesome their life was.

So what about fish?
Regardless of cognitive ability or abundance, I don't believe any animal should be slaughtered for our food.

2nd - Why do I not eat dairy?
I have a few reasons for this question as well. Firstly, although the cows are not being slaughtered to provide us the milk, they are still mistreated. They are also pumped full of chemicals so that they produce way more milk than they are actually supposed to. Also, by the time the milk is pasteurized to kill all of the puss, dirt, bacteria, & poo in it they have to refortify it with calcium and vitamin D so you are actually getting something out of it. 

1 comment:

  1. I have been toying with the idea of switching to a vegetarian diet for a while now. I practically cook without using meat most of the time, but it's difficult when your partner is a huge fan of it. I would happily do it, after watching this. I nearly vomited, and definitely cried. Thank you for the Twitter follow, because I wouldn't have found this if you hadn't. Heavy food for thought. Button x

    ReplyDelete